FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
"The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula One in the UK from the 2009 season.

The five-year deal marks the return of the sport to BBC screens 12 years after ITV began broadcasting Grands Prix.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said: "I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC.

"It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

The deal covers all platforms and will see F1 broadcast on the BBC Sport website, as well as on TV and radio.

Dominic Coles, BBC Sport director of sport rights, said: "The biggest motorsporting event in the world is returning home after 12 years.

"We were delighted when Bernie Ecclestone approached us about the return of F1 to the BBC.

"F1 is a crown jewel of sports broadcasting, so to bring the rights back to their traditional home from 2009 is tremendously exciting.

"Fans will be able to enjoy uninterrupted, state of the art and innovative coverage from BBC Sport, across all of our TV, radio and new media platforms, for the first time since 1996." "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7306123.stm

Wohoo! No more ad breaks!!! :mrgreen:
just read this, fantastic news, no ads and I'm sure they'll make the coverage as good as possible to raise their chances of getting the contract again. All in all it has to be a good thing for the spectator. Does Brundle only work for ITV though? It'd be a bit of a shame losing his pre-race walks.
No More Adverts - Hopefully no more James Allen either!

Was just woken up by a mate texting me this news, and the first thing I checked was the date - I was not going to get caught out but April 1st is still a couple of weeks away yet!

Just had a thought, could the BBC's HD channel have had anything to do with Bernie's decision, just imagine F1 in Hi Def!
.... Does Brundle only work for ITV though? ...

Brundle is a free agent. If you remembr, he started out for the beeb originally. Hopefully, BBC Sport will have the good sense to retain his services, those of Ted Kravitz and Louise Goodman, but send James Allen off to the dole office.
The ITV crew hopefully, will go over to do the BBC coverage, because I'm not sure you could find many people who would be better at the job, given their experience. But this is good news. :)
This is great news! Brundle and all the people who do a good job on ITV behind the scenes should cross over to work for the bbc and that includes James Allen. If not in a commentary role then maybe a pit reporter. Finally F1 with no ads!
.... and that includes James Allen....

Are you mad? Allen is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Did anyone else notice that it took him less than an hour in the first race before he managed to talk about M Schumacher? Presumably whilst jacking himself off with the hand not holding the microphone. The man's a plank.
... I wonder why the BBC have managed to get it back though ..?

Bernie approached them. Murray said this morning on BBC he's done to ITV what he did to the beeb bac n the 90s. Top Man I say.
.... and that includes James Allen....

Are you mad? Allen is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Did anyone else notice that it took him less than an hour in the first race before he managed to talk about M Schumacher? Presumably whilst jacking himself off with the hand not holding the microphone. The man's a plank.

And what do you think you are going to get from the BBC? I'll tell you; constant chat and analysis about lewis hamilton so it is no different. Besides Allen was making an interesting observation about how their was no shumacher (ralf included) at an Australian GP for 17 years. I thought it was a nice little fact.
And what do you think you are going to get from the BBC? I'll tell you; constant chat and analysis about lewis hamilton so it is no different.

Wild supposition at best.

.. Allen was making an interesting observation about how their was no shumacher (ralf included) at an Australian GP for 17 years.

Interesting? A matter of opinion I guess. It's a well known fact that Allen is incapable of going through a race without either plugging his worthless book or mentioning his god Schumacher, and that was just his way of doing it this time.

I thought it was a nice little fact.
I'll tell you a nice little fact. The oaf Allen named his son Enzo. What a complete tit.
Maybe you should apply for the job, F1tastic.

I agree with 8-ball on this one. It was an interesting fact. James Allen isn't a bad commentator. His only downfall, really, is getting too excited about little things. Yes, I know Murray did it, but when Murray did it, I don't know...it was just different? Possibly the way in which he did it. Tone of voice etc.

But I'd rather have James Allen than a lot of people who do commentary for other sports.
Maybe you should apply for the job, F1tastic....

A man has to know his limitations, so I won't be applying for the job. Hopefully the beeb will already know Allen's limitations and will choose someone who's more than half-qualified to do the job.

See our F1 related articles too!