FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
No Indy on provisional 2009 calendar http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68626

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 11:53 GMT

The FIA has unveiled the provisional calendar for the 2009 season, confirming the arrival of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the absence of a race in the United States.

The season will begin again in Australia in late March and will finish in Abu Dhabi in November. The calendar will have 19 races, one more than this year.

The United States Grand Prix, absent this season, will not return next year despite Indianapolis bosses admitting they would welcome F1 back if a financial supporter was found.

Changes on the calendar include the Turkish Grand Prix moved from May to August and the British Grand Prix moved ahead of the French race.

Provisional 2009 calendar:

29 March Australia
5 April Malaysia
19 April Bahrain
10 May Spain
24 May Monaco
7 June Canada
21 June Great Britain
28 June France
12 July Germany
26 July Hungary
9 August Turkey
23 August Europe (Valencia)
6 September Italy
13 September Belgium
27 September Singapore
11 October Japan
18 October China
1 November Brazil
15 November Abu Dhabi

Interesting changes to this year calendar. The big one is Abu Dhabi at the end of the year, mind you I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of another street circuit... that's all Bernie wants nowadays.
At the moment, the US GP is off... Hopefully they can get the funding and get it up to 20 races.

Futhermore...

FFSA confirms French GP entry for 2009 http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68624

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 11:15 GMT

The French Motor Sports Federation, the FFSA, confirmed on Wednesday that they have made an application for France to host a round of the 2009 Formula One World Championship.

The FFSA has a contract to run the French Grand Prix until 2011, but there was doubt about its future after Bernie Ecclestone made it clear several times that he did not want F1 back at the Magny-Cours circuit.

The French body said on Wednesday, however, that the entry for next year's race had been confirmed.

The FFSA will meet tomorrow to ratify the decision and to decide on the future of the race from 2010.

"I've anticipated the decision of the FFSA General Assembly by confirming the entry of the French Grand Prix on the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar as of 28th June," said FFSA president Nicolas Deschaux.

"Of course, the General Assembly, which will meet tomorrow, Thursday, will have to confirm this decision, and also determine the future of the French Grand Prix from 2010 onwards."

The race is expected to take place again at Magny-Cours, whose bosses unveiled a redevelopment plan to upgrade the track's facilities in time for 2009.

Oh dear...
I'm in two minds about seeing Magny-Cours on the calendar. The track is appallingly bad, but I also feel that there has to be a French Grand Prix. We all knew that Catalunya would be in the calendar, but it still doesn't stop me from groaning around about this time every year when the new calendar is released.
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 25 Jun 08, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
It's a shame there's no US GP in the calendar, I like the track very much. France managed to hold on, again :wobble:. Australia is already on the calendar, so I assume it's also a done deal. I thought someone said they wanted to have 20 races a year, right now we're missing one.
some of them dont make sence!! I mean F1 is supposed to be cutting costs? but Bahrain and Abu dubai are on opposit ends of the calendar??? I mean surely its cheaper to travel from Barain to abu dubai than Brazil to Abu dubai?? F1 needs to hire a logistics enginear! And also wouldnt it build a stronger fanbase in asian countries if the asian races were clumped together. Like it kinda does here in Europe when we say "Hey the European season of F1 has started, maybe ill able to go to one of them?" maybe we would get some of those tracks getting test sessions there, and maybe a homebased Asian F1 team? It kinda makes sence though doesnt it?? or am I just tired =/

got to touch a Jaguar F1 car today though :drunk:
You gotta understand though that Bahrain and Abu dubai wipe their arse's with $100 dollars bills so money is no object to them and Bernie has made himself a shitload of money. Remember money talks BS walks. :wink:
We all knew that Catalunya would be in the calendar, but it still doesn't stop me from groaning around about this time every year when the 2009 calendar is released.

Nothing except rain will ever make Catalunya exciting, even if you used Turbo era cars, ground effect cars, Lauda vs Hunt era cars, Sir Jackie era cars, Sir Stirling era cars, Scalextric cars you'd still get the bore-fest at that track.
It's a shame there's no US GP in the calendar, I like the track very much.

I can't say that I love the track (it's not bad, but not brilliant either), but, as with the French Grand Prix, I think Formula One should have a US Grand Prix. It's disappointing not to see it on the calendar this year, but by all accounts a lot of work is being put in by the authorities at Indianapolis to find a sponsor for the track etc., so maybe we'll see Formula One back in the US in a year or two.
Bloody Bloody hell!!!!! Just booked holiday to Istanbul and south coast of Turkey for two weeks returning on 31st of August. Miss it by a week sh1t sh!t sh!t!!!! Wish theyd stop pissing round with the dates!!

See our F1 related articles too!