FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
The hottest rumour at the Suzuka circuit on Saturday is that McLaren is contemplating splitting completely with Mercedes at the end of the season.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that the Woking-based team's plan, masterminded by chairman and former team boss Ron Dennis, is to buy BMW's Formula One engine division from the withdrawing German carmaker in order to go it alone as an independent chassis and engine constructor.

The move would clear the path for Mercedes to completely concentrate on its intensifying partnership with Brawn.

McLaren has an engine supply contract with equity partner Mercedes for two more seasons, but Dennis is believed to be confident that - as with his new MP4-12C road car project - the outfit can manage without the Stuttgart based manufacturer.

Auto Motor und Sport said BMW would be interested in selling its F1 engine programme for the right price, and that Dennis may already have made enquiries with the marque's Munich headquarters.

It is also rumoured that McLaren's existing Bahraini investors might bolster their involvement in order to support the new independent engine programme.

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh has however denied the rumours. "We have no plans to buy BMW's engines,” he said.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
What it is we dont know or has something happened that soured the mclaren/merc relationship??

There has always been one fundamental flaw Mercedes wants to run a team but McLaren will not allow them to fully buy McLaren out or even get a majority share holding. Mercedes now see an opportunity with Brawn which they could turn into a Mercedes team. Mercedes cannot end there partnership with McLaren until 2012 part of that agreement is that Mercedes is not allowed to own a shareholding in any other team. So I guess this maybe related for McLaren preparing for the future after 2012.
So in the meantime... "Team Vodafone McLaren Cosworth"? :P

Hey, even better how about they get Judd engines that blow up every 5 laps!! "Team Vodafone McLaren Judd"? Now that would sound brilliant everytime Lewis made one of his boring PR stunts or speeches! :rofl::rofl:

Hey, even better how about they get Judd engines that blow up every 5 laps!! "Team Vodafone McLaren Judd"? Now that would sound brilliant everytime Lewis made one of his boring PR stunts or speeches! :rofl::rofl:

As I said Mercedes cannot drop McLaren until 2012 that means engines will be supplied by Mercedes until 2012. So no need for McLaren to be worried about short term supply this would be linked with supply after 2012. BTW I read in a few places that Williams are leaning towards that Cosworth engine.
Last edited by Frosty on 03 Oct 09, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

now now ... dont blame lewis for making dumb speeches or noteries... he doesnt know any better !! :rofl:
A good move if they go through with it. The BMW engine is good, as was proved over the last couple of years. It's not on par with the Mercedes, but McLaren will probably be able to use Mercedes engines until 2013 anyway, so they shouldn't have problems.

:yes:
i wonder if Dr Mario will be apart of the deal?

I don't know. What I've been hearing is that he'd like to stay on with Sauber, however as head of BMW's motorsport programmes, he has a lot of other commitments. I'm not sure if he would want to give those up as well... I'd like to see him remain in Formula One in some role, he's a good guy.
i wonder if Dr Mario will be apart of the deal?

I don't know. What I've been hearing is that he'd like to stay on with Sauber, however as head of BMW's motorsport programmes, he has a lot of other commitments. I'm not sure if he would want to give those up as well... I'd like to see him remain in Formula One in some role, he's a good guy.

yeah i think he might quit BMW and stay on at Sauber, but the engine side of things is basically what he originally was apart of while at Williams so he might get an offer from McLaren. Who knows. Hope he stays in F1 in some form!

See our F1 related articles too!