FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By Ste L
This was posted on a photography forum i use...

it's bloody amazing this image, all drawn by himself, using a photo as a reference

Im not sure if this is the place for this but its motorsport and image related so i guess this is it. A bit of background, this took me more than 100 hours to complete at A1 size, 300 dpi, using a digital tablet. I guess its an example of what photoshop can be used for.

heres a step by step of the creation process (used to be backed by fleetwoodmac but rights management kicked in so ull need to imagine it lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQyKLTZUw8
Im interested to hear what you guys think

Last edited by Ste L on 16 May 09, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
thats astonishing!
Extraordinary work! I like it! :thumbup:
P.s the photo reference for this image was of Ayrton preparing for the Japaneese Grand prix in 1989 (If you know your formula one, ull recognise this as a pivitol race in his carrear) and yes hes driving the Mclaren. (I've never actually been able to find out who took the original photo and ive trawled through the sutton and LAT archives, I wouldnt feel right selling this without the photographers consent as I wouldnt have been able to do it at all without that photograph). I am slowly trying to get the skills to obtain my own photographs to base this kind of work on (some of you might recognise some of my other recent posts in the motorsport section).

I think Jenson Button might be the subject of my next 4 month endevor, I think the story of Brawn GP will last a long time in the sports History. Ive just gotta get a decent photo at this years Grand prix...(lol spare a thought for me behind the fence).

Jonathan
thats pretty good for photoshop, i prefer painter when using a wacom tablet

heres something i did for college using a wacom pen by tracing a photo! its actually easier than painting in real life! i rekn anyway, i found it easier to do the detail.
Capsicum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't know a lot about these things, but I should imagine the time and skill involved to produce the image was considerable. However, what's wrong with the original image?
I don't know a lot about these things, but I should imagine the time and skill involved to produce the image was considerable. However, what's wrong with the original image?

artists have been tracing images long before the invention of the photograph using the camera obscura.

artists have been tracing images long before the invention of the photograph using the camera obscura.

I'm well aware, but I don't see what the CGI version has to offer, other than demonstrating somebody's computer skills. The actual photograph conveys the emotion, intensity etc. of Senna. I know which one I would rather have framed on my wall.

See our F1 related articles too!