FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Maybe you should apply for the job, F1tastic.

I agree with 8-ball on this one. It was an interesting fact. James Allen isn't a bad commentator. His only downfall, really, is getting too excited about little things. Yes, I know Murray did it, but when Murray did it, I don't know...it was just different? Possibly the way in which he did it. Tone of voice etc.

But I'd rather have James Allen than a lot of people who do commentary for other sports.

Murray was one of a kind and i would rather have him that James Allen but if he is not coming back then Allen is the best we got. So what if he is a schumi fan and named his son enzo? He spends as much time fawning over Lewis as the rest of the ITV crew so you should be happy. Comparing Allen to Walker is unfair because Walker is a legend and whoever took his place was never going to fill his shoes
Maybe you should apply for the job, F1tastic....

A man has to know his limitations, so I won't be applying for the job. Hopefully the beeb will already know Allen's limitations and will choose someone who's more than half-qualified to do the job.

He is more than half-qualified. He spent all that time as a pit-lane reporter (where, I must admit, he was better at his job) and has been doing the job for quite some time.
By mooker
And what do you think you are going to get from the BBC? I'll tell you; constant chat and analysis about lewis hamilton so it is no different. Besides Allen was making an interesting observation about how their was no shumacher (ralf included) at an Australian GP for 17 years. I thought it was a nice little fact.

Would you expect anything else from a British TV channel? Its hardly a crime for them to support a successful Brit whilst broadcasting mainly to the British. However, I'd expect it to be less fanatical than ITV as the beeb also has a wider internation audience too.
If you remember, doesn't Itv hire a bbc company to do sound and that for their coverage already?

Im a bit sceptical bout the change.
Since 1997, ITV's coverage, bar adverts, has been top draw, the best out of all the media coverage around the world.

Im kinda worried about what the BBC will do. Pre 1997, their coverage was going downhill all the time, disregarding it in the place of snooker or some crap. Also I bet most of us will have to switch to the red button service for most things. Switching between the channels too... that would just be stupid. Really as much as im not against it... im a bit wary. F1 on BBC3 doesn't sound great does it... or BBCi...

They need to try and sign the rest of the ITV "gang" tho... and I think that is possible. As I've just read it was WAS ITV who decided to pull out, not the BBC jumping infront. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65913

So that should make Brunle and co free agents...bar Ryder, who will have a standing contract with ITV seeing as he does footie.

Erm... im only going to be happy if they bring BACK MURRAY for it...
Would you expect anything else from a British TV channel? Its hardly a crime for them to support a successful Brit whilst broadcasting mainly to the British. However, I'd expect it to be less fanatical than ITV as the beeb also has a wider internation audience too.

It's hardly like the Brazilian TV coverage was a paragon of broadcasting impartiality when Senna was about, is it? Watch this, it's hilariously biased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6oQ2TK9vw

I'd say ITV have done a decent enough job of balancing the interests of the viewers (who in Britain are largely Hamilton fans rather than F1 fans at the moment) and general editorial balance. They've been ranting and raving about him, sure, but so has everyone in Motorsport. It's a bit like saying British weather forecasters are biased in favour of rain...

It's hardly like the Brazilian TV coverage was a paragon of broadcasting impartiality when Senna was about, is it? Watch this, it's hilariously biased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6oQ2TK9vw

I'd say ITV have done a decent enough job of balancing the interests of the viewers (who in Britain are largely Hamilton fans rather than F1 fans at the moment) and general editorial balance. They've been ranting and raving about him, sure, but so has everyone in Motorsport. It's a bit like saying British weather forecasters are biased in favour of rain...

Pfft hahahahahhaahhhah! Jez, they sure loved Senna at TV GLOBO... the music playing hahah
Great to get F1 back on the BBC, I hope they bring back "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac as the legendary intro music. :D
This was the first thing my mum said to me this morning.

Been smiling all day
By al4x
if brundle goes i dont want it at the bbc, itd loose too much, and i definitly dont want more lewis stuff, no football commentators either, (i dislike football more than any sport!)

the rugby commentary is best as they are biased, it makes the match feel more alive and real!
Brundle and either Jonathan Ledgard or David Croft is what I'm hearing.
This is fantastic news :D I wonder why the BBC have managed to get it back though - did they cough up more money, or did ITV irritate Ecclestone in some way?

I don't think it was because of that , I think after what Brundle said about the FIA in December , they thought if F1 were to change channels then Brundle may not be able to commentate any more . what do you think?.
Apparently ITV used a clause in their contract to end it early. They weren't getting enough revenue for the early morning races to justify Bernie's fees. Also they're rethinking their whole scheduling so perhaps they want to use the Sunday lunchtime slot for something else.

So in other words no Brundle conspiracy...

See our F1 related articles too!