FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Another race, another "should the winner be penalised" thread?

So, should he?

I think that he clearly let KR through after cutting the chicane. I can't see that he deserves a penalty.
Another race, another "should the winner be penalised" thread?

So, should he?

I think that he clearly let KR through after cutting the chicane. I can't see that he deserves a penalty.

Where was the talk of him being penalised? :confused:
He gave it back whats there to probe other than it being a McLaren ofcourse?

I think it would just be a case of them having to investigate it because he cut the chicane. The outcome, however, is quite clear - Hamilton let Raikkonen pass. I know that some people could argue that this gave Lewis an advantage in that he was allowed to let Raikkonen move past only enough so that he was in front, allowing Hamilton the opportunity to close up and get the slipstream straight away, but that's tactical thinking and not outside of the rules.
Do the rules state that KR should have been ahead for the next corner?

No. All the driver who cut the corner and gained a position has to do is give it back which Lewis did. Lewis just played it to his advantage by getting right back under Kimi's rearwing and then snookered him, great pass imho.

I think it would just be a case of them having to investigate it because he cut the chicane. The outcome, however, is quite clear - Hamilton let Raikkonen pass. I know that some people could argue that this gave Lewis an advantage in that he was allowed to let Raikkonen move past only enough so that he was in front, allowing Hamilton the opportunity to close up and get the slipstream straight away, but that's tactical thinking and not outside of the rules.

Well, Raikkonen didn't give Hamilton an inch at the chicane - which is exactly what he should have done - but it left Hamilton nowhere to go but the run-off area. Also folks, remember when Hamiltonand Raikkonen both ran very wide at Pouhon: Hamilton got back onto the circuit as quickly as he could. Raikkonen, however, remained off the circuit, using the run-off area to gain more momentum to launch an attack on Hamilton. Of course, this does not get a mention. Why? Because Raikkonen drives for Ferrari. Once again, the FIA have tarnished the reputation of the sport. We witness a great race at a legendary circuit and see one of the best finishes in years, only for the FIA to go and ruin it. :rolleyes:

Well, Raikkonen didn't give Hamilton an inch at the chicane - which is exactly what he should have done - but it left Hamilton nowhere to go but the run-off area. Also folks, remember when Hamiltonand Raikkonen both ran very wide at Pouhon: Hamilton got back onto the circuit as quickly as he could. Raikkonen, however, remained off the circuit, using the run-off area to gain more momentum to launch an attack on Hamilton. Of course, this does not get a mention. Why? Because Raikkonen drives for Ferrari. Once again, the FIA have tarnished the reputation of the sport. We witness a great race at a legendary circuit and see one of the best finishes in years, only for the FIA to go and ruin it. :rolleyes:

It is entirely possible that he didn't want to risk trying to cross over the kerbs whilst accelerating. The Ferrari struggles to put power down on wet tarmac, so he'd have had no chance with the wet kerbs.

Well did he overtake after Pouhon, no only when hamilton came across Nakajima and slid onto the grass.

You wouldnt have a problem if that was Heidfeld behind Hamilton..in all honestly.
Well did he overtake after Pouhon, no only when hamilton came across Nakajima and slid onto the grass.

You wouldnt have a problem if that was Heidfeld behind Hamilton..in all honestly.

Eh, yes, I would! The fact is Raikkonen stayed off the track longer to gain momentum so he could make a pass on Hamilton, which he would probably have done, even if Hamilton had not of got caught up with Nakajima. In Hamilton's case, he had nowhere to go but the escape route. What the hell else was he to do? Crash into Raikkonen? Oh, yes, then he would get investigated for causing an avoidable collision. McLaren is f**ked if they and f**ked if they don't.

Finally, why the hell are Ferrari protesting about Hamilton's driving tactics? Maybe they would like a little reminder of what Schumacher did several years ago - a maneuver they told the world was perfectly legal! But when the shoe is on the other foot...
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 07 Sep 08, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
By scotty
Also folks, remember when Hamiltonand Raikkonen both ran very wide at Pouhon: Hamilton got back onto the circuit as quickly as he could. Raikkonen, however, remained off the circuit, using the run-off area to gain more momentum to launch an attack on Hamilton. Of course, this does not get a mention. Why? Because Raikkonen drives for Ferrari.

Umm, i don't think so. Now, if the stewards were thinking about giving grid penalties to the drivers for gaining an advantage by going off the track, then yes, they should both be penalised. Obviously a time penalty is irrelevant to Raikkonen, and i think most people are under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that a time penalty is what would be given out.
Also folks, remember when Hamiltonand Raikkonen both ran very wide at Pouhon: Hamilton got back onto the circuit as quickly as he could. Raikkonen, however, remained off the circuit, using the run-off area to gain more momentum to launch an attack on Hamilton. Of course, this does not get a mention. Why? Because Raikkonen drives for Ferrari.

Umm, i don't think so. Now, if the stewards were thinking about giving grid penalties to the drivers for gaining an advantage by going off the track, then yes, they should both be penalised. Obviously a time penalty is irrelevant to Raikkonen, and i think most people are under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that a time penalty is what would be given out.

You're forgetting, though, that Massa was less than twenty five seconds behind so in theory, if everything turned out to be anti-McLaren ( :rolleyes: ) then Ferrari would have something to gain from it.

See our F1 related articles too!