FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
another component to consider is Mobil! They are a McLaren sponsor will they stay on with McLaren or switch with Mercedes? Alot of Mercs gains have been made with the lubricants so its an important factor for all involved. Including Brawn Force india

They would supply both I expect.
If this rumour is true, it is pretty good news. Certainly, I would love to see McLaren do everything in house, instead of relying on other people. Too many times in McLaren's history has not having a good engine cost the team badly, especially in the last fifteen or twenty years. McLaren has the money and infrastructure to attract top engineers, so there is potential for developing top-quality engines, both for the team's road and Formula One cars. Also, with Brixworth not too far from Woking, I'm sure some of Mercedes' staff can be poached.
Maybe McLaren buying BMW Engines is part of a bigger deal. Mercedes give McLaren there equity in the team back. McLaren let Merc buy Brawn.

There are some major sponsors and driver deals being worked out, the drivers market stopped after Alonso signed with Ferrari. What teams will Kimi, Nico and Rubens be driving for in 2010.
I was thinking about this a bit more last night and, once again, if these rumours are true, I'd feel a little bit disappointed as well. In the last few years, the politics have more or less stopped inside McLaren. The construction of the Technology Centre is no longer a distraction, Mercedes have fully taken over Ilmor and increased their equity in McLaren, and the arguments about who was to blame for some poor performances has stopped. The benefits of all this have been seen in recent years, as the team has produced some great cars and been able to do well in the development race. A rift between McLaren and Mercedes could see them both take a backward step over the next few years.
I was thinking about this a bit more last night and, once again, if these rumours are true, I'd feel a little bit disappointed as well. In the last few years, the politics have more or less stopped inside McLaren. The construction of the Technology Centre is no longer a distraction, Mercedes have fully taken over Ilmor and increased their equity in McLaren, and the arguments about who was to blame for some poor performances has stopped. The benefits of all this have been seen in recent years, as the team has produced some great cars and been able to do well in the development race. A rift between McLaren and Mercedes could see them both take a backward step over the next few years.

Does brawn have any major sponsors in the pipeline at all since it appears they are struggling with finance issues. maybe merc wants to seal a deal with brawn and buy the whole team. Does that makes sense ? If the have to aquire the complete brawn outfit it will be a good thing for brawn. and maybe not so good for mclaren in the long run unless mclaren will be completely self sufficient by the time there contract runs out.

Does brawn have any major sponsors in the pipeline at all since it appears they are struggling with finance issues. maybe merc wants to seal a deal with brawn and buy the whole team. Does that makes sense ? If the have to aquire the complete brawn outfit it will be a good thing for brawn. and maybe not so good for mclaren in the long run unless mclaren will be completely self sufficient by the time there contract runs out.

Brawn have their financial future secure for the next 3 years I suspect this has two components one will be a title sponsor and the other will be a shareholder which could be one of the shareholders of Daimler AG. Mercedes or Daimler AG cannot take a shareholding in any team until after 2012 at which point the existing McLaren-Mercedes partnership will end.

Brawn have their financial future secure for the next 3 years I suspect this has two components one will be a title sponsor and the other will be a shareholder which could be one of the shareholders of Daimler AG. Mercedes or Daimler AG cannot take a shareholding in any team until after 2012 at which point the existing McLaren-Mercedes partnership will end.

correct that 2012 contract thing rings a bell unless ofcos they can get out of it. i do wonder what the issue is between mclaren and merc at the moment

correct that 2012 contract thing rings a bell unless ofcos they can get out of it. i do wonder what the issue is between mclaren and merc at the moment

It's simple. Mercedes want to have their own F1 team McLaren have refused to sell out so now they are looking elsewhere.
This was all explained in a previous thread about how Merc are silently buying and financing Brawn for the next through years through a Abu-Dhabi based investment company which owns shares in Daimler.

thats it right there. ** makes mental note to self to not drink and post on forum**
Be cool if McLaren bcame a completely independent team. Excellent :)

See our F1 related articles too!