FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
It's fine that he is leaving for better opportunities but you would think he'd be more appreciative of Williams giving him his break into F1; if it wasn't for Sir Frank; he may never have made it into F1. Rather than the attitude he has according to the article.

Yup. It works both ways. One example being that Williams provided him with a very strong car in Singapore yet he threw that away with a very silly mistake!
It's fine that he is leaving for better opportunities but you would think he'd be more appreciative of Williams giving him his break into F1; if it wasn't for Sir Frank; he may never have made it into F1. Rather than the attitude he has according to the article.

He did thank the team
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79818
It is my last race for Williams. And that is it really. It is a bit strange because for four or five years it is the only team I have worked with, so it has been a long time. I get on with everybody really well, obviously, and a lot of respect has built up - with the mechanics and everyone. So it will be quite strange to leave.

I can also use this opportunity to thank the team, because all in all I think they have done, for my career, a lot of good. Especially Sir Frank [Williams], Adam Parr, Sam Michael and Patrick [Head], they supported my career all these years. So it is a big thank you to them.
I'm not going to miss Rosberg after some of his c0ck-ups this year. I am looking forward to seeing Hulkenberg and Barrichello do what Nico couldn't.
As a driver you have to live for now because you are only going to be at the top of your game for a few years. so if you feel you are in the wrong place then you should move.

What if Schuey had said to Jordan, thanks for the break in F1. I'll stay with you the rest of my career. How would that of changed history?
i hope kimi does go to mclaren, and rosberg goes to brawn, doesnt leave many seats empty, renault have a seat, toyota i think may have trulli and kobayashi i stilol want glock at renault

I think its basically fair, williams have provided a car capable of winning but have fluffed it [and so has nico] but a little more thanks could have been nice
I like Nico, hopefully he can show his full potential and use it at Brawn!
I like Nico, hopefully he can show his full potential and use it at Brawn!

We will see. Time will tell.

Or of course he could fail completely which will bring up the question; was the Williams a race winner after all and the drivers weren't upto the job! We know Rosberg is better than Nakajima but frankly that isn't hard. Rosberg has made a fair amount of mistakes that has cost him podiums and possible wins as well, cant put all the blame on the car!
What have some people got against Nico Rosberg here? In my eyes this year he has done a beyond excellent job. Sure he has made some mistakes - as have every single driver on the grid! Some make mistakes on track, some make them on strategy. In my eyes, this season, Rosberg has cost himself points two or possibly three times at the very most, he's had probably about 6 drives I would class as 'as expected', and about 7 or 8 where he's taken the car home in positions it rightfully shouldn't be.

On several occasions he has been right in the mix, ahead of Brawn, Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari cars. That car, whilst decent, should legitimately be finishing most races 6th - 10th, and on many occasions he has finished 4th / 5th / 6th.

I think that if anybody really thinks it's a race winning car (in realistic and normal circumstances), then they really have their head in the clouds. I also think likewise if they really believe that he would get 'trounced' by any team-mate on the grid (note - trounced and marginally beaten are not the same thing - I'm not saying another team-mate couldn't beat him).

Am I missing something with some people's opinions on him here?

Just my opinion, but people are being way overly harsh on him.
What have some people got against Nico Rosberg here? In my eyes this year he has done a beyond excellent job. Sure he has made some mistakes - as have every single driver on the grid! Some make mistakes on track, some make them on strategy. In my eyes, this season, Rosberg has cost himself points two or possibly three times at the very most, he's had probably about 6 drives I would class as 'as expected', and about 7 or 8 where he's taken the car home in positions it rightfully shouldn't be.

On several occasions he has been right in the mix, ahead of Brawn, Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari cars. That car, whilst decent, should legitimately be finishing most races 6th - 10th, and on many occasions he has finished 4th / 5th / 6th.

I think that if anybody really thinks it's a race winning car (in realistic and normal circumstances), then they really have their head in the clouds. I also think likewise if they really believe that he would get 'trounced' by any team-mate on the grid (note - trounced and marginally beaten are not the same thing - I'm not saying another team-mate couldn't beat him).

Am I missing something with some people's opinions on him here?

Just my opinion, but people are being way overly harsh on him.

I can't speak for everyone else but I believe him to be overrated. Who's to say that someone like Alonso, or Hamilton couldn't have won in the Williams this year? Strategic mistakes happen; driver errors happen, we know and accept this but to say that Williams hasn't delivered a race winning car is a little arrogant in my opinion. Maybe it's that Rosberg doesn't have the necessary talent to win a race in a Williams, a big part of winning races is driver skill. If he ends up at Brawn or McLaren and is beaten by his team mate and still doesn't win a race where his team mate is winning; we'll know the truth. I would have loved to see a competitive driver in the second Williams to test Rosberg's ability instead of getting stuck with Nakajima because it's part of the Toyota engine deal!
I just personally find it bizarre to say that a driver who has scored in 11 out of the 16 races to date, with 6 of them being top 5 finishes, when he is not in a Brawn, Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren is overrated... especially when his team-mate has a big fat zero (and not even looked like scoring) by comparison.

I agree in one respect, that I'd like to see him against a better team-mate. We may see that next season, and only then can we really see if he's over or underrated - however going on the old adage that you can only beat the team-mate you have; to use words mentioned earlier in the thread - he has well and truly 'trounced' his team-mate in every possible way you could look at it.

If these opinions were based on last year then I could absolutely live with people saying he is overrated - he made too many mistakes then. However this year he has displayed maturity (some forget he has not long turned 24) and raw speed in the vast majority of his drives, one or two errors does not a bad driver make (see Lewis Hamilton in 2007 & 2008)...

I think next year we'll really be able to make a judgement if he's in a good car as has been said. Somehow I have a feeling that whilst he may make mistakes, he would also easily win races if given a car capable of consistently running on the front 3 rows of the grid. I don't think I'll be proved wrong.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. I just feel that Rosberg is being "bigged up" more than his actual talent suggests. If he goes to Brawn, McLaren or another front-running team and he wins races and beats his "established" team mate; I will happily eat my words!
Fair enough. I guess we all just have to wait and see what happens next year! :)

See our F1 related articles too!